segunda-feira, 24 de novembro de 2014

Being right for the wrong reasons

While religion is inherently dogmatic, it is not a requirement for dogmatism. Some very anti-religious people possess a dogmatic nature which is at least as dangerous as holding a religious view. They feel contempt towards religion without really knowing why; they insult religious people with no true knowledge or reason of their own position and they automatically label such people as intellectually inferior. I fail to notice how this is any less dangerous, or different, than the religious people they often criticize -both types of people share a lack of mental elasticity characteristic of dogmatism, which might compromise positive changes. I might hold a similar position as any atheist regarding religion, but if I am going to live in a world where people are right because they know that they are right, then I will debate a dogmatic atheist with as much vehemence as I do any theist. What I try to promote is free thought and skepticism, not dogmatic views of any kind.